To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
New Redman - Oh My + Vintage Freestyles and Interview
New Redman - Oh My + Vintage Freestyles and Interview



Redman takes a step in a new direction of songwriting from his traditional roots of Northern-East Coast funk, towards a style that might remind you of today's southern hip hop sound in his song "Oh My". This was strong to me on the first listen, from the crackling of the vinyl record static on the intro until the end. Red adopts a new style and molds it toward his own personality as an MC, sounding like he's having fun on the track as usual without sounding forced, giving you impressive delivery and new rhyme flows. The only outstanding differences from his traditional sound on this are the chorus and beat.

It's quite a step in another direction for Redman which is the point where opinions between old and new fans may differ, but I think if your ear for hip hop is broad enough between classic and contemporary sounds, "Oh My" will probably sound like a banger to you. I look forward to his upcoming album in anticipation that I will hear an artist who has grown artistically and is willing to experiment with new sounds to challenge the outlook of our total hip hop artform.


Classic Material:
I decided to bring out some vintage treats from Redman to add to the fanfare of this latest song. The first time after I finished listening to "Oh My", I started to compare it to his older material, and was inspired when I realized how far he's progressed as an artist since the days of appearing on EPMD's Rampage, managing to still hold his own today as a solo artist.






This video shows Redman and Method Man promoting their albums back in 1994, Tical and Dare Iz A Darkside. Redman speaks on the meaning behind the album title and explains his relationship with Rocafella, a friend who he dedicated the debut single to.

0 comments for this post

Post a Comment